About Me

My name is Sara and I am on the quest for a better me! I was banded on May 23, 2012. Come join along and help me stay accountable!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day of surgery details

I wanted to try and put my story down, if only for me to be able to remember it all later.  I had to be at the hospital at 8:00 am for my 10:30 surgery.  I was the last scheduled for my "band class."

My dad and sisters were at my house by 7:30 and we headed off to the hospital.  Waited in registration when I was already pre-registered (I always wonder what the point of pre-registering - when I'm still going to have to wait). After registering it was up to outpatient surgery waiting room for more waiting.  Then I finally got called back to my pre-op room.  Quick pee in a cup to make sure I wasn't pregnant, a nice fashionable gown and some meds (IV and the belly shot) and then my family was able to come in and hang... and snap photos :-)

We chilled and talked and goofed off for a while before an orderly came in to take me to surgery.  My sister told me that as soon as he came in, I got a freaked out - nervous face on.  I was nervous.  I was thinking to myself, are you sure you wanna do this?  I've never had surgery (besides getting wisdom teeth out) so I really was super nervous.

So my family trailed behind me until we got to the surgery door, and they went to go wait in the waiting room.  I sat in another room for probably 30 minutes or so.  Waiting around with 6 or so other patients waiting for various surgeons.  Answered lots of the same questions for everybody who came by.  What am I having done, any allergies, did I take all piercings, metal off, am I sure i'm naked under the gown?  Then I finally got rolled into surgery, and scooted my way from one gurney to the table.  They strapped my arms and legs down and gave me oxygen (what they told me)  I wasn't even awake for them telling me to count down.  Next think I knew I was in recovery.  I remember moaning a lot while trying to talk, and trying to move my arms.  My stomach hurt.  The nurse gave me pain meds and some ice chips.  Much better :-)  After I was really awake, I got moved to a wheelchair and pushed down to x-ray to see if everything was in place.

Getting out of the chair and standing for the x-ray, I was a little dizzy, but no nausea.  X-ray done, back in the chair and waited out in the hall for transport to take me up to the post-op bariatric rooms.  I think I fell asleep, because here's what my family told me.  They were told I was in x-ray and then would be up in just a few minutes.  Almost an hour later, no Sara still.  So they went and asked and the nurses said they were just wondering the same thing!  Apparently the transport team forgot me, so I was sitting in my wheelchair in front of the x-ray room fast asleep for about 45 minutes :-)

Finally got to the post op room and sat in the recliner before my family came in.  And started snapping more pics.

We sat around for a while - since I had to drink a cup and a half of something (small sips at a time) and pee before we could leave.  I had the peeing down, but it took me forever to drink!  Got up and walked a lot there, and even walked myself out to the car.  

Went home last night and laid on the couch and slept on and off.  Slept last night in my own bed - with lots of extra pillows.  Got up about every 2 hours to pee / walk but luckily I go to sleep quickly so I had no trouble going back to sleep.  

Hanging out today.... walking a lot.  I've never been a heavy drinker, so its a constant battle to remember to keep the fluids going.  I'm on clear liquids still today, and then get to move to full liquids tomorrow - until next Wednesday. 

So there's my story.  Not a whole lot different from most of the ones I've read, but I'm glad.  I like things that go according to plan.  I'm heading back to bed for a bit now.  Hoping tomorrow will be a little better :-)

Thank you all for every bit of your support.  I felt like I really had a realistic view of what was going to happen which made the day go a lot more smoothly.  It really is great to have so many people that have gone before you sharing their stories!


  1. Thank you for taking the time to write this all out. I will feel better when it is my turn.

  2. Hi sarA.... We've been banded. I'll be writing something tomorrow with the details, but wanted to check up on you too. I had a quick recovery right after surgery, but around 4pm yesterday dry heaves started from the anesthesia and I was doing that for 7 hours, took a toll on my body as a whole, my neck, my hips, my upper arms and my torso are are in extreme pain. I can barely move and unable to sit up or lay down without help. I was not discharged until 4pm on the 24th. Home now. Write me back k? Im happy and sad Allen one.

    1. I guess that would be 4pm on the 23rd, see I m still not myself but I had to stay 23rs in the hospital all nite and got discharged at 4 or 5 on the 24th.

      Damn pain meds I don't even know what day it is

  3. congrats glad to see you made it